All libraries are closed on Sun., April 20.
For the computer user, Broken Arrow has 13 computers and 3 checkout laptops for in-library use.
There are 2 meeting rooms. The larger one can hold 90 people, and the smaller one can hold 25 (if no tables are used).
My First Storytimes are on Mondays and Thursdays at 10:30 am
Preschool Storytimes are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30 am
Stay N' Play is on Wednesdays at 11:00 am
Paws For Reading is on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 4:00 pm Registration begins at 3:45
This location also has an on-going book sale.
The wood carving "Storytime" by sculptor Jason Stone was donated to the library by the Brown-Kimbrough families, in honor of Mildred and Estella Brown.
Broken Arrow Educators, get updates, ideas and more from your BA Libraries with our e-newsletter!
The history of the Broken Arrow Public Library can be traced to a group of 17 young women, who in 1906 organized the Self Culture Club. This group started out as a literary club and immediately became active in civic affairs. The club soon realized the need for a public library. Members organized a Tea, and interested individuals were asked to donate one or more book for the library’s collection. This resulted in over 150 volumes being donated. After the classifying of the books by the library committee, the library was opened to the public a few hours each week. Club members served as librarian a week at-a time.
For over twenty years the Self Culture Club, held ice cream parties, dinners and plays to raise funds for the library. Subscriptions were also sold for $1.00 per year. In 1929, the library was turned over to the municipality. Later the library was moved into a room in the city hall.
In 1961, with the approval of the voters in the county, the Tulsa City-County Library System was established. The Broken Arrow Library then became part of this organization. In late 1963, the library moved from the city hall into a new building designed by Bob Hale, at 121 East College. The library remained in this location until 1985. In that year, the original building was sold and a larger one opened at 300 West Broadway. This site happened to be the former homestead of one of the original members of the Self Culture Club. The library was designed by BSW, with Chief Boyd as the project architect. The building was designed for a collection of 45,000 items and was soon overwhelmed by new customers.
As part of the 1998 Bond Issue, the building was renovated in 2000, again with the help of Chief Boyd. Two separate meeting rooms took the place of one large room with a movable divider. Bright colored carpeting designed by Chief as well as a special children’s entrance was added to make the building brighter.
In 2011 the architectural firm of Selser Schaefer helped re-design the library to make the building more energy efficient and make better use of existing space. New windows, electric doors, improved lighting, new restrooms, along with an improved service desk, updated colors and layout of materials make the building inviting. Funds for the remodel came from Tulsa City-County Library’s Capital Reserve.
For close to a hundred years the public library has played an important role in the community. As Broken Arrow has grown and developed, so has the library.