Fast Facts

Construction on the $40 million project began in 2008 and is located seven miles northwest of downtown on 240 acres. The land was donated by Gentner Drummond and Tom Atherton. One hundred eighty acres are being conserved in their natural state of woodlands and prairie with walking and tram trails. The master plan calls for 15 major theme gardens, 60 specialty gardens, a 3,000-seat amphitheater, a conservatory, an education complex, an interfaith chapel, and a three-story observation tower.
Guests are encouraged to bring water and insect repellent.

Source: Tulsa World, 6/26/2008, p. D2; Tulsa World, 9/5/2008, p.A16. Botanical Garden website.
 

The Oklahoma Tax Commission has a listing by city of all Oklahoma Tag Agencies.
There is a tag agency downtown: Downtown Tulsa Tag Agency, LLC, 201 West 5th Street, Suite 110, Tulsa OK 74103; Phone: 918.582.8247. Their hours are: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm.

Source: Oklahoma Tax Commission web site.
 

You may register for the SoonerSafe - Safe Room Rebate Program online at www.soonersafe.ok.gov. Registering ensures you will be considered for the program, but does not guarantee that you will receive a rebate.  A maximum rebate of $2,000 is available per home, not to exceed 75 percent of the actual cost of the safe room.

Source: SoonerSafe web site.
 

Tags:

GED records can be obtained from:
Lifelong Learning Section - Adult Education & GED Testing
Oklahoma State Department of Education
2500 N. Lincoln Blvd. - Room 115
Oklahoma City OK 73105-4599
Toll Free: (800) 405-0355
Phone: (405) 521-3321

GED records from other states are also available. Contact the Research Center at Central Library for the necessary addresses and phone numbers.  (918) 549-7323

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education.
 

Tags:

Metz was the original name of the town of Nowata. It was named after its first postmaster, Fred Metzner. On November 8, 1889, the name of Metz was changed to Nowata. This is from the Delaware word "no-we-ata" meaning welcome.

Source: Oklahoma Place Names, pages 159 and 173. 
 

According to the Sand Springs Museum staff, the word Sandite was a word that came from the local schools describing the people living in Sand Springs, Oklahoma.

Source: Sand Springs Museum Staff 
 

Several years ago, the Tulsa City County Library donated their Sanborn Maps to the Tulsa Historical Society. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for the city of Tulsa can be viewed at THS. Contact the Tulsa Historical Society at: 2445 S. Peoria, Tulsa OK 74114. Phone: (918)712-9484.
The Tulsa City County Library does have access to digital Sanborn Maps (1867-1970). These are available from home and all TCCL libraries with a valid library card.

Source: Tulsa City County Library Staff.  
 

The Tallgrass Prairie originally covered portions of 14 states and 142 million acres, and was one of North America's largest ecosystems. It exists now only in the Flint Hills of Oklahoma and Kansas. The Tallgrass Prairie Preserve was purchased in 1989 by the Nature Conservancy and consists of the 30,000 acre Barnard Ranch, and approximately 9,000 more acres.
From Tulsa, take Highway 11 North to Pawhuska. The Preserve is just north and west of Pawhuska. Once in Pawhuska, just follow the signs through town where the scenic tour drive actually begins. The drive is approximately 35 miles and lasts about two hours through the preserve.

Source: The Nature Conservancy website. 
 

Oklahoma Geological Survey Observatory, Number One Observatory Lane, POB 8, Leonard, OK 74043.
Phone: (918) 366-4152
Toll-Free: (800) 330-3996
Fax: (918) 366-4156
Email: amiegibson@ou.edu
Website includes Oklahoma earthquake maps, catalogs, seismograms and spectrograms, a catalog of worldwide nuclear tests, a form to use to report an earthquake in Oklahoma or surrounding states, and links to seismic sites.
Tours (about 90 minutes + travel time to Leonard) are available for schools and other groups. Reservations required by phone or e-mail.
Oklahoma

Source: Oklahoma Geological Survey at Leonard.
 

The 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe was buried on June 15, 1957 during Tulsarama!, a celebration commemorating the 50th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood. Some items buried with the gold and white car included: a 5 gallon can of gasoline, a jar of Oklahoma crude oil, fourteen bobby pins, a ladies compact plastic rain cap, several combs, a tube of lipstick, a pack of gum, facial tissues, 2.73 in bills and coins, a pack of cigarettes with a book of matches, an unpaid parking ticket, and a bottle of tranquilizers (items that may have been found in a woman's purse in 1957.) The car was located about 150 feet north of Sixth Street along Denver Avenue.

The car was unearthed on June 15, 2007, for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Oklahoma, at Denver and 6th. The vault was compromised, and the car had extensive water damage; but the time capsule remained in tact. The winner of the car was Raymond E. Humbertson of Cumberland, MD (1921-1979) with the guess of 384,743 as the population of Tulsa in 2007. His guess was only off by 2,386 with the actual population being 382,457. In addition to the car, his heirs also received a savings account worth a little more than $700.
More information is available in the vertical file at the Central Library Research Center.

Sources: Tulsa Tribune, 6/05/67. Tulsa World, 6/15/97. Tulsa World, June 15, 2012, page A1.  Tulsa World, June 23, 2007, page A1.
 

Pages