All locations will be closed Dec 14, 21, 24-25, 28 & Jan 1 and close early during the last 2 weeks of December.
The Friends of the Tulsa City-County Libraries invites you to join a group dedicated to promoting libraries and literacy.
During the June membership drive, the names of those joining the Friends of the Tulsa City-County Libraries will be entered in a drawing for donated prizes like signed books or CDs, movie tickets, coupons to local restaurants and tickets to community events.
Memberships begin at $10. These funds help offset library programming costs for educational and cultural enrichment for thousands of Tulsans. As a Friend you help:
• Provide educational scholarships for library staff
• Furnish books for "First Book" program to support family literacy
• Present a variety of Outreach programs at retirement centers through "Ambassadors"
• Plan and present "Books Sandwiched In," "Travels With Tulsans" and other special programs
• Facilitate "Great Decisions" adult discussion groups at libraries and other venues
• Advocate legislation and political support favorable to libraries
• Sponsor the annual Adult Creative Writing Contest. The contest begins in November and ends the following January
The Friends of the Tulsa City-County Libraries was founded in 1957 to promote a new Central Library for Tulsa, which was dedicated in 1965. In 2013, volunteers donated 35,478 hours of service to Tulsa City-County Library. These volunteers helped shelve books, plan programs, and assisted children and adults learning to read.
Board members will “Adopt a Branch Library” by being at their branch with a Friends of the Tulsa City-County Libraries exhibit during children’s summer reading programs. The purpose is to give parents information about Friends’ events, as well as share details on upcoming activities to support libraries.
For more information on joining the Friends of the Tulsa City-County Libraries, contact Gretchen Hannefield, Friends and Volunteer Coordinator, 918-549-7408, or visit
# # #