It's tornado season and in Oklahoma it's hard to take preparation lightly. To help get and keep you ready the American Red Cross has just launched a Tornado App. Available for Apple and Android phones, the Tornado App prepares and alerts you when a tornado is in the area. Here's how it works (from usa.gov)...
The tornado warning app puts everything you need to know to prepare for a tornado – and all that comes with it – in the palm of your hand. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to be ready.
Some of this app features include:
- Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what to do even if the cell towers and TVs are down. Prioritized actions for before, during, and after requires no mobile connectivity.
- Audible siren that automatically goes off even if app is closed when the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration (NOAA) issues a tornado warning, helping to reduce the chance of sleeping through an actual warning.
- Push notification sent when a warning expires – especially important if power goes out while you or your family are in your safe room.
- Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on their location from NOAA.
- Red Cross location-based open shelters map for when you need it most.
- Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
For more emergency preparedness information check out Ready.gov and the Oklahoma Dept. of Emergency Management.